Sunday, May 11, 2008

It's a Family Tradition


This has been a very eventful weekend. I have to say that one of my favorite things to do is to head down to Austin one of the first weekends in May and watch some great athletes run in the State Track Meet. I also enjoy this weekend because I get to spend it with my family. Here's an update on how the weekend went:


  • Drove the three hours from Denton (always fun) and got to G-Town on Thursday afternoon.

  • Friday around lunch we loaded up and made the trip to Austin, making stops along the way to do some shopping.

  • After checking-in at our hotel, Dad and I headed off to the stadium to watch the 3A and 4A portion of the meet.

  • We got in to the meet and headed to our favorite spot in front of the pole vault pits. We were then joined by some good friends and got to watch a good bunch of running.

  • We left later that night and along the road home, got some good Freebirds, and then got some good rest for our day at the meet on Saturday.

  • Saturday morning got off to an abrupt start with the fact that we had NO hot water in our room. The hotel hotwater heater was out and we were all forced to take COLD showers.

  • We were told that they were trying to fix the problem and decided to head off to the meet and hope they had it fixed by the time we got back.

  • We got some food, sunscreened up, and got set for what was to be one of the hottest days yet. We watched a good meet, sweated alot of sweat, and got a little burned by the sun, but for the most part had a really good time.

  • Then it got busy. We got back to the hotel looking for a shower and rest before dinner, but were met with a suprise. The hotel hadn't finished fixing the hot water and offered us a discount on the rooms. We then took our tired bodies and move our stuff to a new hotel.

  • After a much needed HOT shower, we go grab some ice cream from coldstone, and did a little more shopping.

  • Sunday we got up, packed up, and headed off to get some cajun food for lunch and had a little celebration for my mom. We then headed to Cove to see my uncle and granny. We got home Sunday evening just in time for a little rest before starting another week.

I've been going to this meet since I was in the 2nd grade, missing only three years. It's always been something that i've looked forward to doing. It started as a father-son thing and evolved into a family thing a few years later. Being able to spend that time with my dad is always something that I will treasure. It's not everyday that you get to spend time with a Dad like mine, doing something you love. My Dad is one of my biggest heroes and is an inspiration as a godly man. Spending time with him, watching a sport that we both love, is such a joy.


No comments: